Monday, April 26, 2021

Trammel Points

 


I didn't get much done in the shop yesterday. I saw there was an Indy car race on television so I thought I'd check it out to see the new developments with the cars. The race was a street circuit, which I'm not really a fan of, but I ended up watching the whole race. Several crashes, which had to be very expensive for the car owners, what with all the carbon fiber and electronics. I did go out in the shop and make the piece I needed for the trammel points. Hard to tell from the photo but the point on the right is made from a piece of 3/8" stock while the original one on the left is 3/16". 

The length is set to the proper length for the bike with the wheel clamped in place and the distance from the axle center to the swingarm pivot bolt center is the same on both sides of the bike. I'll line up the sprockets and then make the spacers to keep the wheel lined up. Probably get that done today along with some work on the footpegs. 

Today should be warmer than yesterday. It was rather chilly out in the wind when I was doing my walkies. They're calling for temps in the 80s tomorrow but breezy both days. I need to decide what bicycle rides I want to do and get a training schedule of some sort to start on my quest of getting back into good enough shape for the 62 miler later this summer. I don't know if they are going to resume the bicycle race I've done a few times in the past. It's usually held the third weekend in July. If it's a go, I might start doing some speed work as well as increasing my mileage. I heard on the radio the other day a 105 year old dude just set the one hour cycling record at a bit over 14 miles. I believe he holds the record for those 100 to 104 years of age as well. Since I'm seventy, I've got thirty years to train for the 100 year old age group record. It's good to have goals.  

No comments: