Saturday, January 21, 2023

Boogie-Woogie, Tap Dancing, Carburetors & Alternators

 


Two of my favorite things right here - boogie-woogie music and tap dancing. Eleanor Powell was one of the absolute best in the game. The video turns a bit schmaltzy after the 2:00 minute mark when the orchestra kicks in but it's worth watching just the same.

The auto parts guy was able to locate a gasket for the Stromberg 97/Holley 94 gasket. He said the warehouse had one in stock, it'll be in on Monday. I'm hoping this will look like something that's do-able. I'd like to have an old style carb on the Slant-Six, especially if I can modify the manifold to look like the carb was OEM.


Holley 94 reproduction. Reasonable price, simple in operation. Manual choke and easy installation, provided I can get the manifold modified or an adaptor made that doesn't look out of place. I'm intrigued by the challenge. Not that building a car from scratch isn't challenge enough.


I splashed some paint on the alternator bracket to touch it up after adjusting the alignment. I dug through the parts I got with the extra engine and trans I bought and came across a bracket with an adjusting slot. I think this was for the power steering pump, but I can cut the slotted portion out and weld a flat bar on one end and have what I need for the alternator. The bolt in the photo is the pivot bolt for the base of the alternator. It was too long but handy. I needed a few more threads, so I ran a die down on it and then cut the excess off. It's a soft bolt, so I'll try and remember to order in a Grade 5 on my next hardware order. My current order with the hardware for the trailer project came in yesterday, by the way.

No comments: