Sunday, January 15, 2023

Renewal

 


I renewed my Coach's License recently and while grocery shopping yesterday, I decided it was time to renew my Man Card as well. The local grocery store changed hands not too long ago and I'm still trying to figure out where everything is located. While cruising up and down all the aisles I happened to spot some corned beef hash in a small can. After putting the groceries away after getting home, I fried up the hash along with a couple of sunny side up eggs, and a piece of rye toast slathered in butter for a "pusher". A cup of Joe - no decaf like I usually drink, either. Real coffee, black as midnight. All the fixin's that make for a great brunch - sodium, cholesterol and fat. Damn tasty, but this morning it'll be back to oatmeal and a cup of tea. 

I had the new fireplace cooking all day on Friday. It smelled and smoked a bit initially but after about an hour or so of a hot fire, it had seasoned up the paint and then no more smoke. The flames are nice to watch. They sort of swirl around inside the firebox and if you keep the blower on a slow speed, you don't notice the noise - maybe someone with good hearing would, but not a guy who worked in weld shops for 50 years and fell on his head. When I went to bed, I turned off the blower switch but it continued to run. The insert has a thermostat that shuts it off after the fire dies down. Nice feature. Yours truly is quite pleased. Now I need to trim some of my longer logs to fit in the firebox. 

I checked the Speedway Motors website for the old Ford style quick-change and it's still backordered. I'm going to continue working on the jitney, just the same. There's really no reason I can't have most everything else finished while I'm waiting, as long as I pull the rag out of my ass, that is.

Since I can't spend my money on a rear diff for the car, I thought I'd check Classic Firearms to see what they had to offer in the way of a 45-70. I don't hunt anymore, but there is a herd of buffalo not too far from me. You always want to be prepared like my wife's cousin use to say. He talked about moving to San Diego and opening a snow plowing business. He figured on making a fortune if it ever did snow. However, as a sign of the times, Classic Firearms lists 91 rifles in 45-70 caliber, 90 of which are out of stock. 

Going to the gym this morning. We're having an extra session for the guys planning on competing in this year's Golden Gloves. The extra session will allow us to give them some individual attention and assess their fitness level. The Gloves starts the middle of March and most young guys don't even know what being in shape is. Boxing calls for strength, quickness, stamina, and durability. Being in shape, and being in boxing shape aren't the same thing. 

3 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

mmmm mmmm, buffalo burgers that got 45 70'd to death. I just now was eating delicious local Montana ranch ground beef with rice and cold sour cream on the side. spices are Mccormick STEAK seasoning and Tony Chachere's mixed about even but fairly heavy/strong. also a little American cheese. so simple a caveman could do it.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I just imagined a 45 70 with the Red Ryder art hand carved on one side and a carved buffalo on the other side, you should probably do that-
http://daisymuseum.3dcartstores.com/Adult-Sized-Daisy-Red-Ryder-BB-Gun_p_340.html do it.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm primarily a vegetarian after my heart attack about 10 years ago. I can't remember the last time I've had a steak of any kind - pork tenderloin sandwiches are my kryptonite. A 45-70 is definitely not a need, but something I've wanted for years. Uberti makes a replica 1885 high- wall that would scratch that itch. I'd probably never run more than a couple of boxes of shells through it. As my old pal Joey told me in response to my asking why he needed a machine gun, "pride of ownership".