Monday, January 16, 2023

This-N-That

 


There just isn't enough boogie-woogie coming across the air waves any more. That'll change when I get to be king.

Went to the gym yesterday morning to work with the guys that are planning on fighting in the Golden Gloves this year. There should have been at least four, but only one showed up. He'll be defending his state title this year and he wants to go to an Olympic Qualifier in Detroit before the Gloves. It's looking like Shop Teacher Bob might be working his corner, since I don't have to worry about taking a personal day or burning a vacation day. Because no-one else showed up yesterday, we had a very productive session - worked on some things that he should have been shown by now, but since I haven't been in the gym for 2-1/2 years, it didn't get done. 

The gym is currently suffering a bit from a lack of quality talent and coaching. I talked it over with the other coach yesterday and right now we're both in agreement our focus should be on the young man trying to defend his title and see if we can't help him progress towards his dream of qualifying for the Olympics. He might not succeed, but he'll never know unless he tries. As for the other slugs who didn't show yesterday, if they aren't going to put in the effort, no point taking them to the fights.


I went out to the shop after coming home from the gym and cut the remaining pieces I need to finish the sides on the trailer project. I sanded the anodizing off them so they're ready to weld. I have to take the Missus to the eye doctor this afternoon for a pre-cataract operation check. I'll get the stakes welded up before I go. When she gets the cataract operation taken care of, we should be in good shape as far as doctor and dentist visits go. We've been through a lot the last few years. 


After cutting pieces, I made some vegan chili for supper. Not your traditional chili by any means, but all traditional chili would be vegan if you left the "carne" out. Since I'm getting back on Dr. Fuhrman's nutritarian diet, this is the kind of thing I should be eating, not corned beef hash like I had Saturday morning. It's pretty easy for me to eat like this in the winter, since I like a hearty soup when it's cold outside and it's the kind of cooking I'm capable of.

From what I've been reading, it looks like there might be a lot more vegetarians/vegans in 2023, simply because meat will be too expensive for a lot of people. Even though I'm going to be getting vegetables from the CSA again this year, I'm thinking I should plant a few more things around here. Now that I know what to expect from the CSA, plant a few things I want more of and things they don't include. I really enjoyed the green peppers and cherry tomatoes from the kitchen garden last year - maybe a couple more varieties of both peppers and tomatoes, some cantaloupes and turnips as well. 

I don't know the current statistics on the number of children that are food insecure, but now about 50% of people are living paycheck to paycheck, and a similar number don't have $500 of savings. Young people should never go hungry in this country. Likewise, their parents should not have to skip meals in order that their children are fed. That 100 billion that's been sent to Ukraine would buy a lot of grub. Likewise, the 858 billion the military will be getting could do a lot of good. Maybe the Fed could quit printing money and the government could quit spending it like there's no tomorrow, so working stiffs wouldn't have to pay for all of the foolishness with our tax dollars and the value of a dollar would quit shrinking on a daily basis. I know, asking a lot isn't it.

No comments: