Friday, January 20, 2023

Carb Thoughts


I printed out a copy of the carb flange dimensions for the Holley 350/500 cfm carb. That would require a large adaptor, both length and width as well as height. Not what I'm looking for. However, there are reproduction Holley 94 carbs out there. I believe they take the same bolt pattern as the Stromberg 97. I wasn't able to find the flange dimensions, but I'm going to go to the auto parts store and see about buying a gasket. They use a three-hole mounting pattern. I might be able to modify the manifold so an adaptor wouldn't be necessary, or nothing more than a flat plate at the most. The Holley 94 was used on Ford flatheads '39 - '53, so the auto parts guy should be able to find one for me.

I worked on the alternator bracket for the jitney yesterday. After I finished making it a while back, when I bolted it on after I got the water pump and pulley on, it became obvious that it didn't line up with the water pump pulley as it should. The fix wasn't too tough, just a bit time consuming. Next up is to make the bracket that bolts to the top of the alternator to tension the belt. Might be easier to find one in a junk yard. Milling a slot is easy enough, but milling a slot on an arc not so much. I might be able to figure out a way to bend a straight piece to the proper arc after milling the slot, but keeping the slot from collapsing while bending it will be tricky.

The main thing here is that I'm back on the jitney project. I've got a long way to go - only way to get there is to keep scratching. 

 

No comments: