Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Fuel


The Missus was watching an old Dragnet show the other night and saw a Ranchero in the background on one of the street scenes. She asked me if Ford sold a Falcon pickup truck and I responded with Ranchero. And just like that, the next day went I went to the grocery store there was a Ranchero in the parking lot - even more impressive than mentioning something out loud and then it magically appearing on the computer.


I've been doing a little research into available fuels for the Sportster, primarily, but also for the jitney and a few other things I've got cluttering up the shop and storage. I sent a missive to my brother from a different mother on the subject. He's done quite a bit of research on available fuels in order to get his Camaro to run properly with a high compression, carbureted engine. He tells me most all fuel that comes out of a pump whether that's at a marina or a local gas station has alcohol in it. Might not be ethanol, but there's alcohol in it. He told me there are race fuels available without alcohol. 

The Sunoco website list quite a variety of race fuels, both leaded and unleaded. According to the description of their Surge fuel, it's an ethanol free fuel that's a real close approximation of the high-octane fuel that was available at the pump back in the day. It also has a two year storage life if properly stored. The website also listed a dealer that carries it less than 20 miles away. In fact, it's right down the street from an Aldi store that I shop at occasionally. Next time I'm up there, I'll stop in and get the scoop.

Going to be hot the next few days. Maybe a record heat on one of the days. Agenda until the weekend?
Exercise early in the morning, do some chores and tinker later in the day after the sun starts going down. Catch up on my reading and inside chores during the heat of the day. 

No comments: