Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Baking

 


The Missus, being the wonderful baker that she is, usually ends up making her own birthday cake because I'm not a baker and the cakes from the local grocery store aren't really to her liking. She mentioned the other day she'd like a tres leche cake for her birthday on Sunday. After an internet search, I came across a recipe that I figured I could handle. I replaced the whole milk with heavy cream, figuring I would whip it up for the whip cream topping. As it happened, I didn't get the whipping cream done in time but I had some of the canned stuff - not quite enough for everyone but the birthday girl got hers and that's what counts. The cake was even better the next day, by the way. It's a rather expensive cake to make - about $17.00 for the ingredients. About the same price as a couple of pieces at a Mexican restaurant. However, the kitchen never closes around here.

I got some good news at the doctor's office yesterday. No surgery necessary for the shoulder. He took x-rays and gave me a steroid shot. The x-ray showed some arthritis but he said the shot and some more therapy should do it. He gave me the option of going back to therapy or doing exercises at home. Since I just got done with six weeks of therapy at the clinic, I opted for exercises at home. If I don't see any improvement, it'll be on me this time. I go back in six weeks for a check-up.



No comments: