Friday, August 18, 2023

Good Bye Old Paint

 


Got rid of a motorcycle last evening. A rather rare occurrence around here. Most of the time it's like the Hotel California - you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.


'79 Honda 750. I got this thing in payment for repairing another bike. It was in pretty rough shape due to having been stored in a metal shed with a gravel floor. Lots of corrosion and the parts that had been chrome plated had the plating flaking off. With some help from Surly, I got it looking pretty good and running but one cylinder was low on compression indicating a valve problem. At that point I didn't want to pull the head off, so it got pushed to the back of the line - and that's where it stayed.  One of Surly's buddies was looking for a project bike for his son. Seemed like this would be a good fit, so down the road it went. 

I've got a paper to sign at the financial planner's office. I'm thinking I'll ride the bicycle over there - 20 miles round trip. There's a 40 miler Labor Day weekend I want to ride, so this will give me an indication if the shoulder and legs are up to it. The shoulder's doing much better after the steroid shot, even if I didn't get any sleep Monday night because of it. Decent trade-off, though.

No comments: