Friday, March 15, 2024

Mechanical Design

 


We're liable to find out just how important it is to have builders and fixers in just a short time from now. There's buzz about nuclear attacks, I just read something about an EMP weapon circling the earth and, of course, the invasion of foreign military age "newcomers".  Me, I'm not going to be able to do much building of any kind until I get my chest fixed.

Because of that, no building yesterday but I did run some errands, dropped the taxes off and did a little shop math. The rotary table has a Morse taper #2 hole in the center of it. A #2 Morse taper is .04995 taper per inch. Knowing that I drew out a little triangle and used the tangent formula to solve for the angle. 

I want to make a little gizmo I can drop in the hole to allow me to center the rotary table under the mill spindle easily. I'm thinking a piece with the Morse taper on one end and a center hole on the other would work. Maybe drill and tap a small hole in the center to have something to grab after getting it centered on the mill. I've got an edge/center finder bit that would make it easy to get my set-up. Maybe make the end with the center fairly large in diameter so I could run an indicator around it and I'd have no need for the drilled and tapped hole. I'll see what I've got in the aluminum inventory and make something up. 

1 comment:

Surly said...

The thing you described making is nine bucks on ebay.
I'll send you a link.