Sunday, March 24, 2024

When Did I Get Old?

 


Don't know if I can pin down to an exact date, but it's definitely here now. Seems like having gotten older isn't as much of a problem as some of the dumb things I've done over the years.

I can relate to this one:


Yep, road hard and put away wet. Tuesday I've got appointments with the eye doctor and the family doctor. Regardless of the outcome from the eye doctor, definitely need to get to the bottom of the chest thing.

I did start on the shift lever Friday - got a piece clamped onto the rotary table and drilled the center hole. Looked for the tool to cut in the splines but couldn't find it. Not too surprising, since I only used it to make two parts and that was around 30 years ago. Plus, I've moved since then. The place I order my steel from had a special discount shipping price, so I ordered a piece of O1 tool steel and a couple of other pieces of lathe stock. When that comes in I'll make myself a new tool for cutting the splines and see if I can make a shift lever or two.

3 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I have a steel shift lever from whatever year there was a steel lever on a Sportster. then I cut the end off. then I (had a friend) weldddeded a folding generic dirt bike tip, that has the rubber. BUT,
I had the folding end welded facing right so when you turn the shift lever backward (upside down) and mount it to the splines, now the shift leaver is raised UP. next I made custom footpeg mounts that were raised a couple inches. 2000 Sportster 883 that is now my brothr-in-laws bike but in my bedroom parked up against the wall disASSembled down to only the frame and motor. anyways... that's why I'm interested in your shift lever makings. carry on.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've made rearsets and shift lever alterations on quite a few bikes over the years. This job shouldn't be that tough except for splining the lever and that would be a lot easier if my chest wasn't causing me pain. I want to get this little trials bike finished and then put the finishing touches on my Sportster. If the chest doesn't improve I won't be able to ride either of them, however.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I will include your xzxoidial, or whatever it called,
into prayer for best results however and whenever is unspecified. in other words... when we pray for people specific THEY represent everyone to git ALL the healings and blessing never ending, because that's why.