Friday, March 1, 2024

Minutes, Seconds & Music

 


I came home from getting my toofus worked on, got my Machinery's Handbook out of the shop, ate some brunch and then took a little nap - not used to getting up at 5:30 these days. About the time I was going to start looking for some info on converting decimal degrees into minutes and seconds, Surly contacted me with the breakdown I was looking for. He said he was listening to Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan while figuring things out and suggested I do the same.


Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan originally was Ask Rufus. Chaka Khan joined the band and TVI and I saw her at Indiana Beach in Monticello, Indiana about 1972, probably one of her first performances with the band. Anyway, I've taken Surly's suggestion and now we all can listen to some funky soul music.


Even though Surly was kind enough to find my numbers for me, I decided to satisfy my curiosity and check the handbooks for the info. The 23rd edition had the formula to convert decimal degrees to Minutes and seconds, the older 14th edition has a table with portions of degrees to minutes. The minute listings did not show seconds, but did have the minute listing subdivided into quarter, half and three-quarter. 

The Machinery's Handbook is still available in hard copy and digital. The hardcopy retails for $169.99. Surprisingly enough, I saw a reprint of the 14th edition available from Wal-Mart for $80.00. Can't imagine that being a big seller, but there is wealth of information in the book.

The middle book in the photo is a Smoley's book. One of the tables is for finding angles used in structural steel layout and other construction methods. On structural blueprints, angles are often given as a slope to facilitate layout using a framing square. I've done plenty of layout work over the years but never did much of the figuring required to come up with the necessary slope. With most of what I do I can use a protractor to layout my parts - makes it easy to set the saw to the proper angle and hold the parts at the proper angle when tack welding them together.

No comments: