Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Man With A Plan



I found these on a forum but I forgot to save the link. I couldn't read anything on the forum because everything other than the plans was in Swedish, I think it was. Nice set of plans, however, and they're in English units rather than metric which makes it a lot easier for me. I can do metric without too much trouble but like most people who are first learning a second language, I don't think metric, I convert - takes me a bit longer to visualize things in my head.

This rig is pretty much what I want to build with a few modifications. The car is very narrow - only 21" outside to outside and it tapers down to only 14" at the grill. That would be a pretty small radiator to try and keep the slant six cooled down. I'm thinking make the frame 24" wide which would give me a bit more room in the cockpit for some safety tubes. I definitely want a roll hoop but some side impact protection would be a definite asset as well. Maybe lean the top of the grill shell back a bit also. I'll need to figure what I'm going to use for a transmission before I can finalize the length of the frame rails. I'm thinking a quick-change rear would look good under the rear.

I've got several big projects in line ahead of this thing but I'd like to get some definite dimensions so I can finalize a blueprint and start collecting parts. This thing will cost me a few bucks so it would be prudent to buy a few things here and there and have them so once I get started I can hit it hard. The other option would be to just put a few bucks away out of the Social Security check every month. Maybe a combination of the two.

No comments: