Monday, November 5, 2018

Bike Ride & Tool Box


I went on the bike ride Saturday morning. A bit chilly initially - about 34 degrees when I showed up but warmed up nicely as the morning progressed. I knew a couple of the riders there but I rode with another old geezer most of the time. It was our job to hold up the rest of the group and we did a fairly nice job of that. The ride was in two parts, 17 miles on the first leg and then another 19. I bailed out after the first leg and having a pumpkin bar and some cider because I wanted to get somethings done around the shack but I had a good time. The guy I rode with has done a lot of long distance touring, so we had quite a bit to talk about. Nice people, good weather (good enough anyway) and some decent exercise while enjoying the fall colors.


I made a little more progress on the tool box cover. I got the other side fit up and made a couple of strips for across the front. If you look close you can see the drip channel I bent up on the top piece. I'll cut out the piece for the lid today at work. We've got a nice foot shear in the shop that works better than the Chinese knock-off Beverly that I've got. Mine works well, actually, but it wrinkles the edge a bit when you make a cut where the foot shear gives you a nice edge. I'll bend it up at the house and then make a couple of end caps for it. I've been debating whether to weld or rivet the end caps on. I don't want to get a bunch of distortion on the sheets from welding but right now welding's my preference. My neighbor said he'd take care of the locks, so about all I need to do after the lid is to make a frame and wrap it with the stainless sheet for the door and I'll be done. 

Busy week on tap again - work and doctor's visits again. The Missus has a couple of visits that require a driver so that'll shoot most of the week in the ass like last week. Last week I substituted for one of the guys and ended up back with a group of high school kids. Not that I've ever second guessed my decision to retire from the high school, but it was a nice reminder that I made the right decision. Especially coming just a couple of days after having the stress test. Leaving the high school probably saved my life. I really need to get out of there.

I got my new passport the other day so I'll be dropping by the travel agent so she can have a copy of that and I'll cut her a check for the balance on my upcoming trip to Ireland. Once again, my advice to all of you is to save your money, get some exercise and hopefully you too will be able to enjoy a nice retirement. What is it they say? Spend money like you'll die tomorrow, save money like you'll live forever. Middle path Grasshopper.

No comments: