Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Machining, Welding & Carpentering


The welding supplies came in on Saturday - new headgear and the TIG stuff for welding up the tool box cover. Also in the photo is a motor mount for the slant six project and underneath the headgear is a layout to get an idea of how the engine will sit in the frame and where the mounts should be located. It looks like the only concern is the clearance for the oil pump and filter boss since that's the direction the engine leans. Nothing insurmountable, just typical things you run into when you contemplate goofy projects like this.


Started turning the air cleaner adaptor. I should be able to knock this out in the next few days. The weather is going to be unseasonably cold again - below freezing daytime temps and teens at night when normally the daytime average is low to mid- forties. Looks like I'm going to have to plan on running through some propane this winter to heat the shop if I want to keep moving forward on all the projects. As long as the Social Security checks keep coming, I'll be OK. I do need to throttle back a bit on buying parts until I finish my Christmas shopping.

I took the sheet for the door for the toolbox cover to work to cut it to size on the squaring shear. Unfortunately, I forgot the paper with the measurements at home. I'll cut the sheet to size and bend it to fit the frame on the brake in the HVAC lab next trip in. They've got a nice box & pan brake which will make it easier than trying to do it at home on my machine.

I got the new trim for the man door in my shop cut out and the back side routed out as needed. A little sanding and then take it down the basement and get some primer on it. It won't take but five minutes to install it once it's painted. I might even leave it off until spring since it's going to be too cold to caulk around it.

The finger's still a bit sore but the stitches come out on Friday. I'll be glad when that's all healed up - trying to keep it clean and not bump it is not the easiest thing to do with the kind of work I do. Could be worse, that's for sure.

No comments: