Monday, November 12, 2018

Coming Up With The Plan

I think I've narrowed down the design of the project I'm going to drop the slant six into. Something like what's in the above photo. I've been going through my library looking at some of the old cars from the thirties and forties and I think building something along those lines would be a lot of fun. I saw one similar that was under construction when Cuzzin Ricky and I went to the Millers at Milwaukee event two summers ago. The craftsmanship was first class and it should be a really nice car when the old gentleman gets it finished. I'm going to keep thinking about it and maybe start drawing up some plans this winter.

In the meantime, I worked on the tool box cover yesterday. That thin stainless is a bit tricky to weld. I measured the thickness and the sheets are only .030" thick. I got one end of the lid welded and ground down. I got some distortion but it doesn't look too bad. I got the other end fit, tacked up and partially finished welded but ran out of the proper filler rod. I think we might have some at the college I can mooch. I'll see what I can come across either there or I'll make a trip to a welding supply. Some .035" MIG wire would work nicely. In fact, it would be better than the 1/16" TIG rod I've been using.

Haven't got an appointment to get the splinter out yet. I'd like to get it taken care of. Doesn't really hurt but it's an inconvenience. The weather's looking to be cold most of the week but I want to finish up the tool box job as long as the finger's not going to be a problem. Looks like it's time to switch into winter time mode, get out the long johns and start spending some time in the shop.  

1 comment:

Frankie Flood said...

I can't wait to see this come together. The Miller's event always was an inspiration and building something 1/4" as awesome as those cars is on my bucket list. I've got a modified Ford 200 inline 6 with a 2 barrel carb that I built many years ago that's slated for the build. Time will tell... but in the mean time I'll live through your build! Keep it coming!!!