Sunday, November 18, 2018

Oil Pan

I got the oil pan for the slant six cleaned up and painted. The color balance under the fluorescent lights isn't the best. It actually looks a bit more orange as it should in person. I'm going to tackle the valve cover next. In addition to cleaning it up, I need to straighten out one of the breather tubes. It's bent out of round and is leaning over a bit. Shouldn't be too difficult to straighten out. I think I'll make a piece the same size as the ID on the tube that I can tap in. I can use that to round it up as well as pull it back so it's perpendicular to the valve cover as it should be.

I'm going to buy an air cleaner, a couple of breather filters and a pair of motor mounts if I can find what I'm looking for. Speedway Motors has all of the above but I didn't find an air cleaner with the right size ID to fit my carb. Apparently 2-5/8" is the size of most of them but my carb measures only about 2-5/16". Looks like I might have to make an adaptor. No problem on the breathers or the motor mounts. Those are a universal fit, round biscuit type. I'll make brackets to fit the motor and the frame rails when the time comes for that. I did sketch out a few things on the shop floor while I was waiting for the primer to dry on the oil pan. Trying to figure out the relationship of the engine and trans to where the cockpit will be and all that. I think I'm on the tight track.

No comments: