Monday, November 26, 2018

Blues in My Heart


I like this one a bunch. I'm going to put the CD on my Christmas list.


Photo From Here
I went to the memorial service for my recently deceased uncle Saturday. Nice service for a well loved man who was very generous with his time and money. I don't know why but I kept thinking about the Corvair station wagon he had. I was probably 13 or 14 when he had the car - about the time I first started really noticing automobiles. I rode in it a couple of times. He was the only guy I ever knew who had one of these things. I can't remember any other vehicle he had after that, though. Funny how the mind works - at least mine.

He was living just down the street from his wife's sister at the time. She had a Corvair also. She drove it back and forth to work and to the store but never more than about five miles at a time so it had nothing but cold starts and the valve rockers and the little balls they pivoted on went bad. My dad bought it from her and a buddy of mine and I drug it home so I could fix it. Pulled it home about 25 miles on the end of a chain. Couldn't do that now. We were pretty good at dragging things around, however. We had some hand signals we used to make sure the slack didn't come out of the chain and usually things went pretty smoothly. My brother also had a Corvair as did my wife while we were dating. All of them were '62 models if I remember correctly. Never really had any complaints about the cars other than the heaters weren't up to the task in the mid-west here and you didn't want to get too sporty in the corners or the rear end would tuck and launch you like a pogo stick.  Here I speak from experience. The model change in '65 cured most of the rest of the problems Ralph Nader scared everyone with in his book Unsafe at Any Speed. I've never read the book. Maybe I should seek out a copy and give it a read this winter. When I'm not out in the shop that is.

No comments: