Monday, November 19, 2018

Valve Cover


Before and after on the valve cover. I ground the spot welds off that held the clips for the wiring. If I need something like that later I'll find something that I can bolt to the cover hold down bolts. My plan on repairing the long tube that was bent worked out quite nicely. I had a piece of stock that was just about the right size, so I turned the OD on the lathe, worked it down into the tube and then used it to straighten the tube up. Looks A - OK now.

When the Speedway order comes in I'll see about fitting the air cleaner to the carb. The breathers should just slip on but the motor mounts are going to require a bit of head scratching. I think I'll get the block mounted on the engine stand and set it up at the 30 deg. angle it will be when in the car and start from there making the mounts that will bolt to the engine. I want to get those done before I paint the block. The mounts off the frame should be pretty straight forward when I finally get there.

I need to start work on assembling the engine one of these days soon. I'm going to check and see what fits what and pick up some bearings, gasket set, oil pump, rings, etc. I'll feel better if I've got this thing all put together. Less chance of something getting rusty or dirty, plus it'll take up less room in my shop. Things are pretty crowded in there right now.  

Actually making pretty good progress considering I'm trying not to get the stitches on my finger dirty or wet.

No comments: