Sunday, May 30, 2021

Heavy Lifting

 



I got the truck unloaded and most of the mess cleaned up yesterday. I've got a rubber stall mat in the back of the truck, so the oil-dri I put down did a pretty good job of soaking up the oil. I scrubbed the oil-dri in real well, swept it up and then took the shop vac to it. I still need to make a run to the car wash or get the power washer out but most of the mess is taken care of.


Even though I already have an engine, buying this one with the tranny is going to save me a bunch of running around looking for things as well as saving me some money. This one came with an electronic ignition as well as the starter, alternator and mounting brackets. I'll get the trans cleaned up and bolted to the block that's already in the jitney and get the cross member figured out as well as locating the engine fore and aft. I think moving it back two inches from where it's sitting right now should do the trick.

I went to the Lokar site to see what they have for a shifter. Looks like they've got just what I need. The case mount with a 12" double bend stick should get the job done. I ordered a rule book from the SCTA just for shits and giggles. If I ever do plan on running at Bonneville, might as well build it to the rules right off the bat.

My buddy Bob came down yesterday and brought a couple of countershaft sprockets for the Rickati project. He's got a couple more weeks of work on a 450 he's doing. When he's done with that I'll turn my motor over to him. So I need to finish up the brakes and shifter sometime in the next couple of weeks. Then it's finish weld, paint, re-assemble and fire it up once he's done with the motor.

The schedule's open today. Maybe go walkies, maybe ride the bike, maybe watch the race, maybe work in the shop a bit, maybe some mowing.  

No comments: