Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Knockin' Them Out

 



I finished the aluminum jobs yesterday. I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the eyes, the new welder and my hands all in synch when welding aluminum. Even though the machine has high frequency, I have to tap the tungsten to get the arc started as opposed to having the high frequency initiate the arc by jumping the gap. I should probably get some 3/32" filler rods also. I've got 1/16" & 1/8" but like Goldilocks, I need to find the one that's just right. And 3/32" would have been it on this job.


After I finished the aluminum work I made a piece to weld on to the  Rickati swingarm to mount the chain slider. I also checked the tracking on my brake shoes. According to the USPS, they are being sent back to me. The website where I sent them had two addresses and I must have sent them to the wrong one. At least they're not lost and they should be back here soon. I'll try again once I get them back. Before I do I'm going to check with the local guys at the auto machine shop. They closed their auto parts store but are still doing machine work. Old guys who have been around since Pontius was taking flying lessons. They might be able to steer me straight.

I've got another job to start on today. Hopefully I'll finish it today as well. Time to get get back on the jitney - starting to get dusty.

3 comments:

Kevin Kaluf said...

You know I had to look up that phrase:

https://wordhistories.net/2020/03/15/since-pontius-was-pilot/

I hadn't heard that one from you.... you truly do have a million of them.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I like to trot out a little known classic every once in a while. Feel free to use it if the situation arises.

Now that things are opening up, we need to do breakfast and get caught up on things. Of course we'll have to find a new restaurant, but that's easily enough done.

Kevin Kaluf said...

Sandy Pines is always good and right down the road if you like that. I'm good with any day in the next couple weeks except this Friday.... just let me know when you're available.