Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Found My Nuts


I met with my insurance man yesterday for a review and to get a couple of questions answered. There's a hardware store right down the road so I stopped there in pursuit of some fine thread nuts. I didn't see any in the cubby holes or the boxes on the shelves. I continued on heading to Aldi's for some groceries and stopped at a lumber yard/hardware store and got lucky. They had the fine thread nuts in one of the slide out boxes with the castle nuts. It's a bit of a trip up there but they've got most anything a guy could need, including decent lumber. 

So now we come to the above photo. Prior to going to the grocery store, I had read an article in the paper about what they call the CCP virus - CCP standing for the Chinese Communist Party. In the article it mentioned that 78% of all the Covid fatalities were people who were obese. And looking around the grocery store at some of the clientele, that might explain why the death count in the US is as high as it is. One of the things obesity has an effect on is low vitamin D levels. Seems vitamin D is fat soluble so there's a direct correlation between obesity and low vitamin D levels. And with the high temperatures levels around the country now, most heavy duties will be seeking shade rather than spending time soaking up the rays. This also helps explain why dark skinned people have a higher death rate. I had read that quite a while back. It's nice that after 15 months the government is still not giving us any solid information on prevention or the drugs that could safely cure the CCP virus such as Ivermectin. This cooties thing has been screwed up right from the very beginning. Lose some weight, get plenty of vitamins C, D and the mineral zinc, wash your hands and avoid crowds. Best advice I can give you, but why would you take medical advice from a welder?

I got the radius rods cleaned up for the jitney project. The last welding I had done was some stick welding with my old welder. I got the new welder out to TIG the ends onto the radius rods. My argon tank is about empty but I figured there was enough to tack the pieces on. However, after making the first tack it appeared that something wasn't right. It looks like the radius rods are some type of high carbon. I've got some filler rods for 4130 material and they would probably work with a bit of preheat but I think I'm going to stick weld the rod ends with a low hydrogen rod after doing a spark test.

I've got to put on my chauffer's hat the next few days and take care of a few non-project things so I don't know how much I'll have to report. Be cool and stay safe in the heat.

 

No comments: