Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Spring Time

 


I decided to start on the front end of the jitney. That's the axle, spring and wishbone pictured upside down.


That forged arm with the barrel shaped boss on the end of it is what supports the spring. I managed to get the spring off without too much of a struggle. The shackle bolt in the photo came out fairly easily. I had to cut it off and then drive it the rest of the way out with a punch. The one on the other side didn't treat me quite as nicely. I got it to move about an inch but only with some serious hammering. I shot the boss full of Blaster and left it for today. 


The old shackles where they fit into the spring and barrel boss are steel on the outside bonded to rubber, as is the bolt. The new ones I have just have nylon bushings that slide into the spring and boss. The side plates and bolts are shiny stainless. The replacement clips to hold the spring leaves in place are polished stainless as well. 

Once I get the bolt and the rest of the rubber and steel sleeve out of the boss, I'll make up some pieces that I can use to weld the bosses to the axle. When I get that done I can split the wishbone and see about hanging the axle assembly under the car. I'm about ready to order the front end kit - spindles, brakes, kingpins, etc. I've been buying most everything from Speedway but I think I'll do a little comparison shopping before I order. 

I'll try to get some more done on the car today as well as do a bit more on the Rickati. The year's going to be half over in another week or so. My goal is to finish at least two wheeled projects this year. Should be do-able since the Rickati is almost complete. I finish that up and I think I'll tackle the BSA next. There isn't that much to do on it. I can jump back and forth on it and the jitney.

No comments: