Friday, June 25, 2021

Lilies In Bloom



The lilies are all starting to bloom. I've got a nice variety of colors along with a bunch of "ditch" lilies - those would be the orange ones that you see along the side of the road out in the country. I need to find some other type of perennials to plant in spots where I had a couple of trees taken down. The stumps are still there so I could just chop them out and reseed the area. The one spot has a yucca there but it looked out of place before and even more so now. I'm not much of a landscape designer - in fact I'm just a guy who likes the looks of an old farm house with some of the traditional plantings. Especially if they don't require much more work than the occasional weeding. I should have come up with a plan a little earlier in the year when the garden centers were closing out on the spring plantings.


It was a nice morning yesterday - a little breezy but I was carrying 18 miles an hour for a 1-1/2 miles with the tail wind - we won't talk about what I was doing into the wind (Edit: I probably should have added that I was out on my morning bike ride). I later stopped at the Tractor Supply Co after picking up my weekly box of veggies. I was looking for some 7/16" fine thread nuts for the "U" bolts that hold the spring on the front end of the jitney project but no go. The "U" bolts came with lock nuts but I don't want to use them until the final assembly. I don't know why 7/16" hardware is such a bastard size but it seems I'm always running into a problem with it and 10-32 machine screws also. 

They're calling for rain the next week so I mowed before it rained but just barely. I went out to the shop to discover that the woodchuck is back again. I did a temporary fix with a piece of sheet metal and a cement block since it was sprinkling. Of course, I just did a temporary fix last year and that's what got me back into this mess again. 

I bent up a piece of stock (3/4"x 1") to make the brackets for the spring perches. They bent fairly easily on my little bender. Two heats and just enough effort on the handle that my chest will probably be sore for a couple of days. It would have been nice if one of the doctors I consulted over the years would have figured out what's causing that. Anyway, I'll get the pieces fit up and tacked on and then split the wishbone. I need to get a couple of answers about the kingpin diameters and length and then I'll order the front end kit. Steady by jerks.

No comments: