Monday, June 14, 2021

Flag Day

 


It's Flag Day today. I've become somewhat conflicted over the display of the American flag these last few years. While it should rightfully be the symbol of a great country, things aren't what they used to be and with the Fourth of July holiday approaching, you'll be seeing the flag being used to sell all types of products and services. And, of course, it's use in politics to promote the illusion of patriotism, regardless of the politician's real beliefs. I'm afraid I'm getting pretty cynical in my old age. EDIT: Chicken Mom has nice post on the history of our flag and the does and don'ts of flag etiquette.


I planted three of these hollyhocks last year. This is the first one to flower. The color rendition in the photo isn't the best due to the brightness of the sun. The flowers are a little more of a peach color. I don't know if the other two are going to be the same color or not. Won't be long until I find out, though.


The cycle training has been going well - been working on building up my mileage base. I've added 100 more miles since the last shot of the odometer. I've also been doing some "speed" work - speed being a relative term. If I get the freewheel in the highest gear while using the middle ring up front, I can carry 18.5 mph at a comfortable cadence - not for long, mind you, but as my conditioning improves I hope to increase the distance. My goal for the race is to average somewhere around 17mph. Faster would be better but I've got other things to consume my limited energy resources.

One of which is another boxing match. I'm not sure of the date yet but I think it'll be about the same time as the bike race. I don't know if they'll need me to help out but I'd like to go just the same. I think the format will be like Saturday's event. Most of the matches will be just a normal club fight but a few of the bouts will be the conclusion of the Open division Golden Gloves. If our fighter wins his match he'll be fighting in Tulsa in August. Be nice to see that happen.

No comments: