Saturday, June 19, 2021

Whistle

 


I've got a whistle that's been mounted on the wall of the shop for years. I disconnected the supply pipe and the little air tanks a couple of years ago. I'm not sure why anymore - I probably needed the pipe for something else. The tanks and gauge were down in the corner and like the slow moving vehicle sign I repaired recently, it was time to either fix it or scrap it. I had looked for a piece of 1/4" black pipe several times at Menards and a couple of hardware stores but nobody had one. While it wasn't pressing, I had to go to the hardware store to get a window screen repaired and I had them cut the piece of pipe for me. I cleaned and polished the brass on the whistle and painted the fittings and the air tanks. It'll blow as long as the air supply is connected but what it really needs is more volume of air. A larger tank and supply pipe and it would make your ears bleed. Not that that's needed. I need to make a bracket to support the tanks and I can call it done.

Pretty hot and sticky yesterday so I didn't get a lot done in the shop. It rained early morning and warmed up to temps in the high eighties. The weatherman said the heat index was right at 100 when you factor in the humidity and, unfortunately, there's no way you can't not factor it in.

After finishing up the whistle I sat on the stool in the shop and stared at the front axle, spring and wishbone for the jitney project for a while. I'm still trying to decide on the plan of attack. I need to make a plan and get some parts ordered in and finish up the shift and brake linkage on the Rickati. My buddy said he'd be ready for the engine pretty soon. It'd be nice if the shop was air conditioned. As I understand it, air conditioning units, like most appliances are pretty much unavailable these days. You used to be able to but a small window unit for around $100.00. That would be a good investment to encourage me to drag my ass out there when it's hot out. Maybe just start working the night shift. Or better still, just man up.

No comments: