Saturday, August 6, 2022

Hose Job

 I took the wife to the dentist Thursday to get her implant taken care of. The chemotherapy did a number on her teeth, so she got a bridge with a couple of posts to hold it in place. They gave her some dope to take 1-1/2 hours before the appointment and some more when she got there. She didn't feel a thing but she couldn't be left alone for the rest of the day, so no shop work. However, while she was getting worked on in the dentist' chair, I went next door to the tavern to get a sandwich, since I hadn't eaten anything all morning. 

Bar food is not the thing a vegetarian would normally pursue but I had some fish and chips with a side of coleslaw and a draft beer. The food was really good and as a bonus, there was a baseball game on. I've pretty much given up on the sport of baseball, but it was the Cubs versus the Cards in St Louis, and it was a day game - something that seems to be a rarity these days on a weekday. 

As a school teacher with summers off, if I wasn't working I'd try to catch a few Cubs' day games during the summer - since they didn't have lights, there were a lot of them. They were always on Channel 9 out of Chicago and I grew up with them. The early days it was Jack Brickhouse on the play-by-play with "The Good Kid" Lou Boudreau, later Harry Caray. Brickhouse broadcast not only the Cubs games but also the White Sox, Bears, Bulls, and the occasional boxing match. Before the internet and cable television if you wanted to watch sports in the Chicago area, it was Channel 9, WGN. I don't even know where I would look to watch a Cubs or Sox game on television anymore and I'm not planning on trying to find one. I did enjoy sitting on the bar stool watching the game the other day though. 


Since I got the upper radiator hoses for the jitney, I decided to get the connector to couple the two of them together done. It's about 90% finished. I'll finish it up today.


If I was planning on making a few more hose fittings, I'd make myself one of these. It would make short work of putting a bead on radiator hose fittings. Looks like it would be easy enough to do.

I need a redo on the alternator bracket I made. I made a piece for that yesterday while I had the collet chuck in the lathe. It won't take too long to finish the rest of it. I should get that done today as well. As soon as I get those two items finished, I'll bolt on the plates for the header and start thinking about what I need to do there. I also can't postpone finishing up the steering much longer. Things are taking shape.

No comments: