Friday, August 12, 2022

Jitney Progress

 


I had to modify the alternator bracket. I wasn't paying enough attention and somehow got confused on which of the crank pulleys I was using to drive the water pump and alternator. Two out of three of the pulleys are for a 3/8" belt, the other is for a 1/2". I originally made the bracket for the 1/2" belt rather than the 3/8" one that lines up with the water pump pulley. Fixed now, though.


While waiting for the paint to dry on the alternator bracket, I bolted on the header flanges. The openings are 1-1/4" side to side and 1-3/4" top to bottom. I'll need to make a 1-1/2" round tube fit in those nicely. Since I'll need to do that six times, might be worth the effort to make a hammerform of some type or a collar I can use to squeeze the sides in and then hammer the tube to flare it out in the other direction. 


I took the manifold off the spare motor. Surprisingly enough, most of the nuts broke loose easily enough on the studs. Two of the nuts on the bottom row were tough to get at. The one I could see from above, so I put a chisel on it to get it starting to spin, which it did, but then after a couple of big whacks, the stud broke off. Good enough. The other one I finally got a socket on it with the help of a universal, an eight inch extension, and a breaker bar. I am going to invest in a new 1/2" socket and a couple other things. The 12 point socket is worn to the point it slipped on a couple of the nuts that had changed size - not unusual on exhaust fasteners. 

I've got a few things lined up for the day, but I'll get the alternator bolted on and think a little more on the header tubes.

No comments: