Friday, August 5, 2022

Made In China

 

I'm sure all of you have heard about Nancy Pelosi's trip to Taiwan in order to deflect interest from her husband's DUI hearing. Might as well risk WWIII rather than have anyone focus any attention on her millionaire hubby, right? However, there's a serious problem with that. Damn near anything you want or need comes from China. If we can throw an embargo on Russia, why can't the Chinese do the same to us? I won't be at all surprised if the Chinese retaliate in some way. In the photo are three items I purchased recently, all of which came from China.

This is the third time I've bought a 10 pack of those socks. They're comfortable, fit well and wear like iron. I should have probably bought another 10 pack when I ordered them - since I don't know for sure if they'll be available when I need them next time.

Heavy duty adhesive bandages in the one inch wide version. I'm pretty well set on first aid supplies, however, I read the other day that 70% of all medicines in the USA come from China. I take a couple of prescription medications but if I was to follow a strict diet, I probably wouldn't have too much need for them. I'm back exercising on a regular basis and my weight's pretty close to where it needs to be, so if the medicines quit coming, it probably wouldn't be a matter of life and death for me. Might shorten the life span but who knows how long I've got anyway. If your situation is more dire, you might want to talk to your physician to see about getting some extra you can squirrel away.

The moth traps are for keeping the little moths out of the flour, pancake and cornbread mix, etc. If you get these things in the house, they're a real PIA. They'll get in sealed bags and boxes and leave little moth turds and eggs in your grits. If you want to stock up on flour and similar items which you definitely should do if you haven't already, you need to store them in a container that's impervious to them. I store my waffle mix in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. You can get 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids that snap on tightly but have a screw on cover with a gasket. Good place to keep your rice and beans. I've got one of those with a small bag of dog and cat food in it.

The almond milk doesn't come from China, is not bothered by pantry moths and has a decent shelf life. This quart has a best use-by date of next April. If you want milk on your cereal after the Chinese have nuked the big cities, it would be nice to have some almond milk on the shelf - no refrigeration necessary. There is always powdered milk like the Carnation brand but I would imagine the moths might take a shine to that. That, plus the fact that it's pretty watery when mixed makes the almond milk look much better in the bowl of granola. Almond milk also has more calcium than cow's milk. I don't drink it by the glass full but I don't drink cow's milk that way anymore either.

Get your preps in order. Even if you won't need the extra food to deal with some type of natural disaster or act of war, might as well have things on the shelf before the price goes up again. There are plenty of resources available at the library and on the internet to get you started preparing. If you haven't yet, make a personalized list of things you'll need if the power goes out and you need to hunker down. If you commute beyond a reasonable walking distance from your house, get a survival bag in your vehicle as well. Around here I can't keep water in the truck in the winter time due to its freezing, but I've got a bag with a couple of bottles I throw in the truck when the temps fall.  

No comments: