Sunday, August 21, 2022

Tulsa Trip

 


In addition to the normal vendors one would expect at a boxing event, there was a representative from the Sprinkler Fitters union set up right inside the door. He was giving away some freebies and answering any questions anyone might have about the trade. Journeyman rate for the Tulsa area is a bit over $34.00, higher in other areas of the country. I don't know how successful he was with his recruiting efforts, but it's a good trade, just not one that you often hear about. If you click on the picture and make it bigger, you should be able to read the contact information.

There was also a gentleman at a table near where our group was clustered promoting boxing as a way to deal with Parkinson's Disease. I had a nice chat with the man and learned a bit about him and Parkinson's. He told me working the speed bag and double end bag has helped him quite a bit. I can't remember the exact name of the organization he was promoting but there was a young lady who fought professionally from my area who started a similar program in Indy a few years back. I asked one of our coaches who's from Indy about the program and he thought she was still involved in it. Like a lot of things, diet and exercise should be part of your daily routine.

I'm going to try and start getting back to the gym on a regular basis. My running buddy was the trainer for our guy at the Nationals. I went along to wrap hands and moral support. At the gym, however, she needs some extra help on a regular basis to do the fighters justice. The Nationals are in Pennsylvania next year, it would be nice to have a couple fighters in that tourney.    

No comments: