Thursday, October 1, 2020

Blast It!

 


I bead blasted all the burnt paint off the lever arm for the tube bender. It started rusting over night, so I'm going to make up a couple of pieces to strengthen the sides today and get some paint on it. I didn't get much done yesterday due to driving the Missus to the hospital for some blood work, but like the trip to the dentist the other day, we stopped this time on our way home at the Amish bakery for some goodies. I've been missing being able to get out with the old girl.

Heading over to the high school today while the instructor is on prep - minimizing contact with the students and all that. He's having trouble with one of the welding machines and can't figure out what the problem is. He ran through the things that he's done to trouble shoot it and he's done exactly what I would have done except for one thing. I didn't think about it until after he hung up the phone but it just might be a real easy fix. If it's what I think it might be, I'll look like a hero. Let's hope that's how it goes.

I also received a text from my old boss. The soccer goals where his boys attend school need some work and he wanted to know if I'd work with them on the repair. I'll be doing that in a few weeks when the boys are on fall break.

I also got a message on Facebook from a former student. He'd like to meet up along with another student one of these days. Now that businesses are open again, maybe a lunch meeting. I'd like to see these guys again. They graduated almost 30 years ago. Probably the most gratifying part of being a teacher, especially a shop teacher, is knowing the role you played in turning out not only craftspeople but also decent young men and women. Even more gratifying than having access to a big shop and nice tools! 

I sent a message to the guy with the tranny for the jitney project but haven't heard back from him. I'm going to start shopping junkyards and see if I can find something. I need to locate one before too much longer. Get it in house before the weather gets bad.

4 comments:

Kevin Kaluf said...

I'd like to get breakfast or lunch with you in the next couple of weeks as well....

Shop Teacher Bob said...

That would be great - been quite awhile since we've had a chance to chat. Have to find a new place to eat since where we used to meet up is closed now.

Kevin Kaluf said...

SP19 has a pretty good breakfast... let's set something up for soon if you are willing!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Sounds good.