Thursday, October 22, 2020

I'm A Big Fan

 


The big brown truck showed up yesterday morning - fan, spacer and radiator cap. The cap is a threaded item to work with the Model T radiator I bought. The box the fan came in has some instructions to determine the length of the spacer required and the length away from the radiator, belts and hoses. 3/4" is the magic number they say. Now that I've got the parts, I'll locate the radiator and then adjust the engine placement accordingly. One of the mounts has a couple of tack welds that will have to be ground off but I tacked it where it would be easy to remove. 


I made the fender mount yesterday. It looks crooked in the photo but there's two things at work here. One is the camera angle, the other is the fork legs are not in alignment top to bottom. I need to check the forks to see if the legs are bent or what ever else that could be causing the problem. It seems to be quite a bit of mis-alignment but I'll loosen up the pinch bolts and see if I can get the front wheel pointed straight first thing. I don't think I replaced the fork seals, so I'll have to pull the front end apart at some point anyway.

The fender bracket is all set other than a final polish. When I held the fender up to it while checking the fit, it appears the fender was designed for high mounting with the larger radius, rather than a smaller radius to fit snug over the tire with a low mount. I'll have to trim the fender but I won't do anything until I make sure I can get the front wheel pointed straight.

I need to remake the rear loop and get the rear fender fastened and then do something about a rear wheel. I'll need to buy some shocks as well but I've used up my allowance for the month and I can work on the jitney while I solve the wheel problem. I still need to find a tranny for that thing, but I'm moving forward and enjoying myself.

No comments: