Monday, October 5, 2020

World Teacher Day


Cockpit for the jitney finish welded and primed. The bolts to hold it to the frame are on order - stainless 10-32 button heads. There are five on each side, so that should hold it.


The Missus bought an old world map like would be mounted in a school house. It's about six feet wide and diameter of the map was too large when it's rolled up for the store bought brackets. I knocked some out earlier today that should work. I might have to wait until I have an extra set of hands to get it installed, however. I'll probably try to go solo. Measure the length and height, get one bracket screwed to the wall, stick one end of the map in the bracket and then try to fasten the second bracket while holding a level on the map with one hand and get a screw in with the other. How hard can that be?


Here's a blast from the past on World Teacher Day. Three of my former students posing with some of their handi-work for the school newspaper in 1984.The one guy in the photo posted this over the weekend on Facebook and it got back to me. He paid me a nice compliment as well, which gave me a warm and fuzzy.

I've had a lot of good teachers over the years, both in public school and college. I worked with a lot of them as well. My high school geometry teacher was probably the best I ever had. Besides knowing his subject well, he had a delivery that sucked me in and made me want to learn. He probably had the most influence on me becoming a teacher. There was also another teacher at the high school who had a big influence on me even though I never had him as a teacher. He was a shop teacher who raced motorcycles and I was all about motorcycles when I was in high school. He called off work for a week to take his Bultaco Metralla to Daytona to race. I was fortunate to be able to do the same thing myself some years later - not once, but twice. He quit teaching and opened up a motorcycle dealership later on. You need to follow your passion.

To all the current, past and future teachers, you have my respect and appreciation. It's not an easy job if you do it correctly. It's has to be even tougher now trying to carry on while dealing with the virus. Regardless of how difficult it is, keep your head up. The guys like those three hooligans in the photo need you now more than ever.



 

3 comments:

Surly said...

The guy on the left is wearing one of Dushan's greens if you hadn't noticed.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

They're all wearing Inland Steel sport coats.

Frankie Flood said...

That's true about following your passion for certain. I'm glad to see you reconnecting with past students too. I think that's the best part of the job. It can be a frustrating profession in the moment, but it doesn't get much better when you get to see the product in a few years after the seeds have been planted.

Sorry for not responding to you on Facebook. I ended up taking down the post because one of my other colleagues was worried about the fact that my two buddies and I had N95 respirators with vents (against CDC guidelines). I tried to explain we were the only ones around the foundry and that we worried about passing out while pouring if we had a restrictive mask on. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I saw your post.

I've been enjoying your projects. Keep up the great work!