Monday, October 19, 2020

This, That and Some Corn

 


I was right about picking the corn. The farmer was here about 7:30 on Saturday morning. He does a couple other small holdings around here, so he picks them all and then moves on. I don't know what corn is going for these days but I would hope the farmers are going to have a good year. Something needs to go right this year.


I got a text message from HQ at the side hustle Friday - need more parts. I had these cut out already so it was grind, drill, bend, and weld. The boss said they're going to need a lot more this winter. That won't be a problem but I'm going to have to improve my plasma cutting. There was way too much grinding required. Might need to adjust my settings and I definitely need to try and get steadier when I cut. The plasma cuts faster than I can keep up. Not sure what I can do about that.


I ordered a couple things for the jitney project. While I'm waiting for those to show this week, I thought I'd pull the cover off the Rickati project and see about making a little progress on that thing. The photo above was taken at the high school at least eight years ago - not much progress since. However, I do have some aluminum fenders for it. I need to make a new rear loop and I thought I'd start figuring out how to mount the front fender. 


The front wheel on the bike is a 21" and the fender I ordered was for a 21" but it's more like a 28". The piece of cardboard measures 24" outside so you can see the radius of the fender is much larger than than it should be. If I set the fender on the tire it's obvious that it's not going to work bolting it onto the fork legs, so that leaves mounting it under the bottom of the lower triple clamp. The two little pieces on the cardboard are spacers. I'll make an aluminum piece that will bolt to the fender and the spacers and hopefully it will be acceptable. 

My first thought was to shrink the edge of the fender to tighten up the radius but the fender has a wired edge. I doubt seriously I could take that out and shrink the edge without seriously screwing up the appearance of the lovely polished fender. The rear fender looks like it should, just need to make a better loop to hang it from. 

There's an upholstery guy by me now. I talked to him the other day about making a seat and he said no problem. I've got a seat pan made already - might double check to make sure it'll work and if so, run it by him to see what he can do. He told me the other day he did a car similar to the jitney. I've seen the car. I've even got a photo of it somewhere. I need to dig it out and take a look-see.  

1 comment:

Surly said...

I sent an email regarding fender mounting