Saturday, October 31, 2020

Ain't Misbehavin'

 


I was at the dentist yesterday and they asked me what type of music I listen to. The answer was jazz, blues, classic rock, and older country stuff. Some how it got settled they'd put on Hank Williams Jr. Two of the young ladies working there came in and thanked me for playing some country music which I thought was pretty funny. Hank does a real nice version of Ain't Misbehavin' himself. I've got an LP or tape or CD of Leon Redbone stuff around here somewhere that I need to find. Now that I'm gearing up to spend longer hours in the shop, I need a better variety of music out there. If Sirius XM hadn't pissed me off I'd get that rigged up out there to have a better selection than commercial radio. I've got a record player that I can use to burn CDs. I need to make a bunch of those up - "music to soothe the savage beast" and all that.

I got a little more accomplished on the roller after coming home from the dentist - would have got some more done but ran into a snag. First off, I bought my "black" pipe from Menards. It's sourced from over seas and it's black pipe because it's covered with black paint rather than the varnish pipe is usually coated with. I sanded the paint off and then was going to weld the hubs into the ends. According to the plan book, the hubs should be slightly larger diameter than the inside diameter of the pipe. Not with this pipe. I looked up the specs for 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe and the ID on this one is about .040" large, meaning the hubs won't be on center when welded in. Also, the welded seam running the length of the pipe is a little under sized causing a slight flat spot. I got one of them running pretty true - only about .005" total run out. I might take a skin cut across it to eliminate the flat spot on the seam. Much more work than I'd figured on but it will probably be worth it in the long run. 

No comments: