Wednesday, June 21, 2023

AC & Bearing


 Probably going to be more than a few people are going to wish they would have learned these and more in the not too distant future. There's a few on the list I wish I knew more about myself, like mushroom ID. I know morels, sheepsheads and the white button ones you get at the grocery store. Anything else, I'm going to take a pass. Likewise, native plants and medicinal herbs - not the kinds of things that a welder normally specializes in.


However, I do know how to remove a bearing. The expanding blind bearing tools are the nuts. Put the puller shaft inside the bearing, crank the internal rod down onto the ball bearing inside, and expand the end of the puller to get behind the bearing. Once that's done, you can use a slide hammer or the yoke like in the photo. Slicker than snot on a doorknob.

I got the air conditioner installed with a little help from the grandson. The piece I made for the sill worked like a champ. No tape or holes drilled in the new window. The AC unit is both small and light weight, so I shouldn't need a support on the outside. It's going to be plenty warm the next week or so, good time to have a cool place to sleep.

I've got therapy on the shoulder this morning, a meeting with the financial guy later and a couple other stops to make. Since I got the old bearing out on the Sportster, I'd like to get the new one in and get the cams installed so I can check the end play and get them shimmed properly. Not much left to do after that as far as having it ready to turn over.
 

2 comments:

Surly said...

I have an edible plants book you can borrow.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'd like to see it. I'm hoping I'm never in a situation where I have to forage wild plants to stay alive, but it never hurts to have a basic knowledge on a variety of subjects.