Tuesday, June 13, 2023

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

 


Nice cool day yesterday again, so I went upstairs in the "new barn" and sharpened a few knives. 


Surly commented that the nylon inserts on the lock nuts might melt on the pipe clamps. I figured they would probably be OK and if not, I could safety wire them or just go with lock washers. However, after I got to thinking about it, I remembered I had a can of aircraft hardware that might have something I could use. I got lucky and had a couple of lock nuts of the pinch type and some stainless bolts. That should do it.

And that's about when my luck ran out. I pulled the cam cover off to start getting the cams timed and check the end play when I discovered the flat wear plate behind the #3 cam was boogered up. It's ground up a bit where the cam goes through it and one of the end play shims was bent. Both the cam and the plate have discoloration due to heating and the cam has some damage where it goes through the plate. It looks like the shim fell out of alignment when they were installing the cams and they forced it together. It couldn't spin, so it generated heat. I'm going to the dealer today to see about a new wear plate and check on the availability of the shims. I think I can save the cam, but I want to get Surly's take on it before I do anything else.

I thought this was going to be an easy one - should have known better. These kinds of things are where I always get sidetracked. Since I can't keep moving, I have a tendency to jump on another project and the original one stalls. However, I'm determined to ride this thing this summer.

1 comment:

Surly said...

I don't go to the dealer for anything HD. I find it a waste of time with anything old. But, since it's an XL and there's a lot of overlap with the EVO stuff they might have that plate. There's shims on eBay. You can probably find that plate used on ebay as well.
Danny and I have tons of parts so if you need anything ask first.