Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sportster Update

 


I've been listening to this tune since I was fourteen years old. The vocalist passed away last week, as most of you are probably aware, and I wasn't going to post anything but I heard an instrumental version playing in the background of a rerun of Murder She Wrote. Most of the television I watch is just on for background noise to drown out the tinnitus. However, many of the shows from the seventies and eighties are relatively new to me since I was working full time and going to night school at that time. Actually, a much better use of my time. Yesterday I was printing out pages of the Harley manual while the show was on. Pretty good use of my time there also.


The air filter showed up yesterday as forecast by the tracking number. Not only is it marked with the UNI part number, it also has the HD number on the tag as well. That's a nice touch.


I worked on the Sportster a bit yesterday. A bit more cleaning and polishing, and then took a look at the pipes. While I'm not a fan of drag pipes, that's what I've got to work with for starters. I might see about some inserts to quite them down later on, or maybe make a new exhaust similar to the original one.

The mounting clamps needed the holes filed to allow the pinch bolts to go through the hole easily. If you look at the middle bolt in the photo, you can see how it's bent. New bolts and lock nuts for those two, new washers and lock nuts for the two bolts that hold the support bracket to the frame. That'll get a coat of paint on it before it goes back on the bike. 

I printed out a few pages of the manual to keep me honest when I finish taking the engine apart. I need to replace the seals on the lifter tubes and button up the cams, which should be most of the mechanical stuff necessary for the engine to run. 

2 comments:

Surly said...

Watch that the nylon inserts don't melt that close to the exhaust.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I thought about that - might be an issue on the clamp bolts. I might safety wire them instead. The support rod is counterbored for the socket head screws, so the nuts will be visible.