Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Damage Report

 


Here's the bits and pieces I described in the last post - picture's worth a 1,000 words and all that.

Surly said skip the dealer, since it would be questionable if they would have the parts in stock. I ran into that working on the last Sportster. He sent me the links on eBay for the thrust plate and a 5 pack of shims. They're ordered and should be here in a couple of days. Easy enough and I didn't have to make a 50 mile round trip run to find out they didn't have the parts, or they had to order them and then make another trip.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the cam. The thrust surface is worn down and no longer square. I didn't think the fact that it got hot would hurt anything. The lobe wasn't affected but the shaft runs in a needle bearing, so welding on the cam might not be such a good idea. While I was mulling over a couple of repair options Surly said forget trying to fix it - we're not in Cuba after all (I love that boy's sense of humor). So, I've got a set of used gears on the way.

I still need to check everything in the crankcase and the case cover before I put it back together. Check end play and all that as well. I'm hoping I don't come across anymore surprises. As long as that's the case, I should have it running next week.

No comments: