Sunday, February 14, 2021

Delbert Mc Clinton and Shop Radio


This song has one of the greatest lines ever: "I'll still love you baby, but I don't want you back."

I heard this on an Irish radio station I stumbled across. It surprised me but I recognized Mc Clinton's voice right away.  You would think with all the music this guy has made over the course of his career, I should be able to hear it locally, rather than having to go to Ireland to hear it.


Here he is with Roy Buchanan. Buchanan was a guitar monster. This one's kind of bluesy as well but if you want to hear another Mc Clinton/Buchanan collaboration that really showcases his guitar work, go here.


Bruce Channel's Hey!Baby with Delbert Mc Clinton on harmonica. This is from way back in '62. Great little song - only 2 minutes long but it'll have you humming it all day long.

I'm thinking as soon as the weather breaks I need to start spending more time in the shop. I've got a lot of projects in the queue and time waits for no man and all that. I've got a radio out in the shop but it only picks up about three stations clearly. Actually those are about the only three that I would consider listening to anyway but things get pretty repetitive after a while. I used to listen to the public radio station out of Chicago but they don't play music like they used to - Mike Flynn's Folk Sampler, Dick Buckley's Jazz Showcase, Marion McPartland's Piano Jazz, Fiona Ritchey's Thistle and Shamrock, and Steve Cushing's Blues Before Sunrise. Great line-up for a guy like myself with diverse taste in music. Now it's all talk, all the time. Like I need that.

However, I'm working a plan to get myself access to a better selection of music. I consulted with Surly and he threw out a couple of ideas for me. First up is to take my laptop out to the shop and see if I can pick up the signal from the house. If that works, I'm well on my way. If not, plan B. I've got a nice receiver and speakers in the house I seldom use. I might drag that out to the shop as a stop-gap. I'll still be limited to FM stations rather than the internet but it should give me better reception, meaning more choices and better sound. The end goal is internet access without buying a smart phone with little to no monthly fee and decent sound quality in a noisy environment. Should be do-able.


The reality is I should play this on a loop since the "scared to run out of time" is becoming a reality. Since I turned 70 I figure I'm now counting backwards from 10 - and that's if I'm lucky and God's willing. Definitely need to turn up the wick on the projects. 

Happy Valentines Day, lovers!

No comments: