Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Snow Day

 


The weather forecasters were correct in their predictions. It started snowing about 3:30 Saturday afternoon and continued most of the night. The wind was blowing hard from the east, so I ended up with some drifts in front of the doors on the big barn and the new barn. I spent a good hour Sunday shoveling and plowing. I had started the tractor up and let it run a bit Saturday to make sure it would run on Sunday but it turned over about twice was all before the battery quit. I put it on the charger and got it fired up and it did the same thing again Monday. The tractor's got an ammeter and it wasn't showing a charge when I had it running. It had been changed over from a 6 volt generator to a 12 volt alternator before I bought it and I put a new battery in it after I bought it but that's been quite awhile ago. I think I'm going to buy a new alternator and battery. That should eliminate any and all starting and charging problems as long as I'm going to be using the old girl. 

I did more shoveling and plowing Monday since it continued to snow on Sunday, and I'll need to run the tractor down the lane again today. I walked down the lane yesterday to get the mail and some of it had blown in again. Needless to say, I didn't get much else done. We got about 9" of heavy, wet snow with some drifts close to 24". By the time I got done with the snow removal, my back and chest were both feeling the effects so I spent the remainder of both days in the shack. It was nice out Monday, though. Sunny day, about 32 degrees with only a slight breeze. Got some much needed exercise and fresh air.

I'm going to pick up the piece of material I need for the second frame rail today, run a couple of other errands and then get back to work. They're forecasting some really cold temps this weekend so I want to get the frame rails finished and make some progress on the job for the side hustle. Sissy that I am, I don't want to even leave the house when the temps are in negative numbers. I'll be real content just keeping the fireplace fed while catching up on my reading.

No comments: