Wednesday, February 24, 2021

More Yamaha

 


That's a beauty of an SR right there. The only problem that I see is that it's too pretty for what I'm planning on doing even though I'm not real sure yet what it is I'm planning on doing. The combination seat & tail section looks good on there but that item is pretty commonplace on "real" flat trackers like the HD 750s. 


Airtech sells several fiberglass seats in addition to the XR model. They've got a couple designs that have number plates built into them. I can't see me needing that but the XR seat is $114.00. I couldn't make one for that price out of aluminum by the time I bought material and had it upholstered. However, I'm into making rather than buying as I'm sure you've surmised by now.


I like the looks of this one a bunch. Not a tracker or an SR500, but a pretty scrambler like they used to run. Putting something together like either one of these would be a fairly straight forward project. I just need to decide on what I want to do with it after I'm done. I looked at the SR seat the other day and I could shorten it up and wrap the sides in to form a back  and then have it re-upholstered. There's a guy within walking distance of me who does upholstery work. Using the stock seat pan would mean it would be a straight up bolt on after it was upholstered. That's not a bad thing. And white piping is always in style.

I like the high pipe on this one also. If I decided to take the bike to ride on public lands, I assume I would need a muffler with a spark arrestor. I can make a muffler and buy a Forest Service approved spark arrestor for only about twenty bucks or buy something like this one:

Going that route I'm definitely falling more into the scrambler camp than the flat tracker but I could end up with a bike that's capable of most any type of off road riding I'd want to do. My first thought was go with a low pipe and use SuperTrapp inserts.
The nice thing about these is they are tunable by adding or subtracting discs, and they are suitable for off-road.

I've got a long way to go before I get serious about this project but I haven't been spending all my parts allowance lately, so it wouldn't hurt to buy a few parts that I know I'll need sometime down the road. 

I went through the boxes at the storage space yesterday. I found a couple of bolts for the engine stand but no cylinder head - a couple of bottom ends and transmissions, a barrel, and a bushel and a peck of brake parts but no head. That obviously will be a problem for a low buck build. 

I did a bunch of running around yesterday. It warmed up to 45 degrees and was nice and sunny Went to the college for some business, the grocery store, Menards, bank, and ran the truck through the car wash. I also stopped at Best Buy - might have found the solution to getting the computer on line out in the shop. So I didn't get much else done but a great day to be out after all the cold and snow we've been having. Great day to be alive. And it's supposed to be above freezing for the remainder of the week.



No comments: