Monday, February 15, 2021

More Winter

 


The Champion spark plug company was formed by Albert Champion as was the AC spark plug company. I did a quickie book review several years ago after reading a biography about him. I just happened across this photo the other day and thought it was a cool picture, as well as reminding me about Albert Champion. 

Took a vacation day yesterday. It was -3 at 6:30 when I checked in the morning, so I stayed in the shack all day other than a quick trip to take the garbage out and check on the chickens. First day in about a week that I didn't have to shovel snow which was nice since it was so cold out. The Chicago weather said the high for the day was 4 degrees which was a record cold for the high temperature on the 14th.

I did order some parts for the jitney, however. I've got an alternator, radiator hoses and transmission mount coming. They should be here this week. I checked the part number on the transmission mount and it's the same for both a manual and automatic trans so no matter what trans I end up with, I'll be set. I also ordered a seat. It's back ordered and is supposed to ship April 2nd. 

In addition to making a transmission mount, I'm going to make a driveshaft loop as well. Bad things happen if the front U-joint breaks. If it sticks into the road at speed it can lift the car like a pole vaulter. It's also capable of beating the bottom of the car up, destroying brake or fuel lines and wiring. Many of the sanctioning bodies require one. I don't know what exactly I'm going to do with this thing when I finish it but making a loop is easy enough, just need to get a transmission. 

I'm supposed to take the Missus to the doctor today but it's supposed to be cold and windy as well as start snowing about noon. I'll have to see if she wants to make the trip or cancel the appointment. As I write this they're forecasting a total of 5"-7" of new snow Monday afternoon into Tuesday. It's about 50 miles round trip. I'd just as soon stay home, myself. Either way, won't be getting anything done in the shop.

No comments: