Thursday, February 4, 2021

John L.

 


The great John L. Sullivan as seen yesterday on a Facebook group I belong to. I've been blessed to sleep inside the barns where John L. trained for his 75 round bare knuckle championship fight. I was also honored to be a Person of the Year of the Bare Knuckle Boxing Hall of Fame - definitely one for the highlight reel. If and when it becomes safe to travel again, I want to head back out that way. I'd like to see Cooperstown as well. Actually, I'd love to go most anywhere as far as that goes. I haven't been to the gym, the Golden Gloves was cancelled along with all the other amateur events as well as all the 5K runs and walks I used to participate in. And, of course, no open wheel racing.

I got the newsletter from the Kokomo Rescue Mission the other day and it had an insert in it about a walk they're hosting. It goes online tomorrow. Even though it'll be "Walk Where You Are", I'm thinking about signing up for it. They do good work - they served close to 100,000 meals last year - as well as providing other services. It'll do me good to train for an event and get outside. I'll talk to my running buddy after I get the details and she if she'll want to do it to keep me honest. 

I worked on the second frame rail yesterday. I got it tacked together and then started finish welding both of them. Unfortunately, I'm about out of argon and the local place I've been getting it is no longer a drop point, so I'm going to have to do a bit of traveling to get my tank refilled. I'm going to tack the round tube cross piece to both rails as well as tack a temporary spreader on the other end. After I get it squared up I'll go ahead then and weld until I run out of gas. With a little bit of luck I might be able to finish welding it up before the tank goes dry. That'll be about it for a few days anyway. They're talking sub-zero temps over the weekend. That's not for me.

No comments: