Saturday, February 20, 2021

Smile

 


Lovely voice - in itself enough to make you smile. But as they say in the commercials: "Wait there's more!"

The oldest grandson turned 16 the other day. Of course we didn't get to visit with him but the Missus and I did have a phone visit.

I went to the eye doctor Thursday. Had a check-up on the new bionic eyeballs and got fitted for some glasses. My vision is just damn near 20/20 but the new glasses will have a bit of correction as well as the proper bifocal power. Medicare pays up to $74.00 towards bifocals with UV lenses, so I got away with a new pair of specs with my share being only $70.00. I've got insurance that pays for new frames once every two years but I can't cash in on that until July - maybe get some prescription sunglasses then.


The seat for the jitney showed up on Thursday. With my plowing job on the lane being a little less than stellar, the FedEx guy left it at the mailbox not quite a quarter of a mile away. When I went down to grab the seat there was another package that I thought was going to be more car parts but instead was a box of live plants. The box was clearly marked live plants, do not freeze and it had an arrow pointing which way was up. Of course the box was upside down and sitting on top of a snow bank. Needless to say the plants were all dead. I'm assuming they were riding around in the back of the unheated van for quite a while before they got to my place because I retrieved them less than ten minutes after they were dropped off.

I'll have to wait until I get a trans to determine where the floor pan will be and then I can determine the seat height. It's sitting a bit higher than the frame rail in the photo but I think it will eventually be even with the bottom of the rail which will drop it down three inches. That being the case, I'll have to cut holes in the back sheet metal for the harness and run a cross tube on the roll cage to anchor the top straps.


The car parts I was waiting on showed up Friday. Alternator, trans mount and a couple of radiator hoses. Same scenario - FedEx dropped them off by the mailbox but nothing that could be harmed by the cold temperatures. I'm going to make sure I get the weather forecast before ordering anything in the future. I don't like the idea of my packages sitting out by the road where they could be stolen easily or frozen as with the plants. I think part of the problem is the FedEx drivers come out of the city and aren't used to driving out in the country or down farm lanes. A few years ago they tossed a package out half way down the lane. In the summer, during daylight hours. FedEx doesn't make me smile. 


Lastly, nothing puts a smile on your face like a big pot of bean soup when it's cold and there's two feet of snow on the ground.

Stay warm and safe.

No comments: