Saturday, February 6, 2021

Car Mags


Since I'm homebound these days, I'm spending more time than usual on the computer. I went looking for a magazine or two that might have some adverts for hot rod parts, both for the jitney project and an actual hot rod that's been lingering for far too long. Knowing that many of the print magazines have died off, I figured I'd look online to see what's still available and if it was worth a trip to Barnes & Noble when I take the trip to Menards and the welding supply. I found out that a couple of the old stand-byes like Rod & Custom and Street Rodder have folded up their tents. During my search I came across a good article about the demise of the car magazines from a guy who was in the business for years. You can find it here if interested. However, I did receive an e-mail from Chris Alston's Chassis Works that's promoting three car/truck mags that are available in both print and digital versions. I'm thinking I'm going to subscribe to Modern Rodding for a year. Might be worth it for some inspiration as well as sourcing some parts.

It warmed up more than the forecasted temperature yesterday - hit a balmy 21 about 1:30 so I headed out to the shop. I got the ends wrapped and welded and I had enough argon to finish weld both of the rails. I've still got some grinding and sanding to do but I'll get out there one of these afternoons and take care of that. I'll take the finished job down the basement and get some primer on it after that. 

EDIT: I normally write a post in the evening for the following morning, that is write on Saturday, new post appears on Sunday. I must have gotten my days mixed up on this one. I wrote it on Saturday for Sunday but it came in on Saturday.  

2 comments:

Surly said...

Try Hop Up mag or Greasy Kulture. Maybe Gnarly Magazine, it's mostly Kustom Kulture pinstriping type stuff. There's a small handful of bike mags out there but I don't know many for the inferior forms of transport. Check out Dice, Stag, Smut Butt, Sideburn, and Pittsburgh Moto. Roller mag from Japan is another. Most of these are primarily HD and Chopper content save for maybe Sideburn which is mostly Flat-Track of all stripes.

Couple more here...https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/seven-print-motorcycle-magazines-thriving-in-the-digital-age-and-how-they-do-it

I doubt you can get any of these locally. Most are overseas mags and will cost a mint but probably worth it. A couple can be found at Lowbrow Customs. I have a copy of Dice if you would like to borrow it.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm not too interested in bike mags right now, with the exception maybe of Sideburn for the SR500 project. I don't much care for the looks of most of the modern bikes with all the angular lines and big mufflers. Revzilla has Zach Courts and Ari Henning now. I used to read them in Cycle World/Motorcyclist before they went digital or wherever they went. Good writers. I get e-mails from Iron and Air - they've always got something good in each issue. I've been considering subscribing.

Hop Up magazine looks like something I'd enjoy. I dig old school jalopies and hot rods. I should order a couple of the back issues. I see one of the issues is a Bonneville special. The jitney might end up out there.