Friday, February 5, 2021

Radioactive

 


----------------------------



I'm starting on cleaning out some of my "treasures" and came across this old Civil Defense handbook. I was curious to see what all was contained in it so I read it cover to cover. You need to remember I grew up when this stuff was a big deal. We never got too wrapped up in the "big one" scare at my house but Mom did put together some essentials down the basement. Of course, with four of us growing boys we probably would have eaten our way through the food supply in a couple of days and I can't imagine us staying down in the basement for a full two weeks as recommended in the Civil Defense handbook.

Obviously nearly all of the material in the book is outdated and the threat of a nuclear strike isn't anywhere near the top of my list of concerns but I did find it extremely interesting since I lived through that era. Most public buildings back then had the yellow and black signs on them signifying that they were a fallout shelter.


The occupancy was figured on each individual having 10 sq. ft. of space - that's not much at all - I couldn't even lie down flat without having 12. Supplies were stocked with much of the food in large metal cans that looked like the 50lb cans welding rods come in.  The handbook mentions that conditions will be primitive but soldiers have had to endure worse so suck it up or words to that effect. 

There is a chapter dealing with farm populations since they'll probably be too far away from a shelter to reach it in time and of course there would be livestock to deal with. One fact I found interesting was that chickens are able to absorb more radioactivity than all the other common farm animals. 

Interesting book from a historical perspective. With people building bunkers and safe rooms, it does address the issues of sanitation, fresh air and communication with the outside world that would be a concern in this day and age as well, whether from a nuclear strike or a natural disaster. One thing the book didn't address was pets. You definitely weren't going to be able to bring your dog or cat to the fallout shelter. It's pretty easy to get a cat set up for two weeks but what about your dog? Just turn him loose? I'm pretty well equipped to live down the basement for two weeks as far as food and water goes but I can't imagine spending that time with the animals and dealing with all that would entail. Might be easier just to let the gamma rays have their way with me.

I did some more on the frame rails yesterday. I got the round tube tacked in across the back and some more welding on the seams. I took a picture of it clamped in place but I was talking to a buddy of mine trying to troubleshoot his MIG and took the photo one-handed. I've posted some blurry photos on here before but this one was just too bad. I'm heading back out there today, so I'll try to get a better shot of it. The rear frame looks pretty good, even if the photo doesn't.

No comments: