Tuesday, February 16, 2021

New Battery

 


A nice Irish ballad - another one I heard from the Irish station I've been listening to as of late. 

It was about six degrees yesterday morning when I checked and we got roughly 3 more inches of snow before it stopped. I went out about 1:30 to shovel the walk and check on the condition of the lane. Things weren't looking real good and since they were predicting more snow staring about 3:00, I pulled the battery box apart on the old Allis, got the part # and then called the auto parts store to see if they had one. The answer was yes, expensive, but yes, so I pulled the battery and headed up town. The trip down the lane was a little dicey but made it out OK. The return trip about a half hour later was really dicey - I just about didn't make it. I put the battery in the tractor about the time the snow started again. I heard on the radio while I was out that another 8" of drifting snow could be coming my way along with continued cold. It was 12 when I was swapping out the battery.

When I was pulling the car out of the garage, the top roller on the door came off. I think I've got some extra bracket bolts around here. If not, I'll just stick a couple of regular 1/4" bolts in there until I can get the ones it's supposed to have. Then check all the rest of the bolts on the doors to make sure nothing else has worked loose. Always something. And always more fun when it's cold out. 


I'll probably have to spend at least a couple hours pushing snow around today. It's rare that we get this much snow. Even more rare that we get the continued cold temps so the snow sticks around. When it warms up I'll see about getting a new alternator and battery cable for Allis. I need to be more diligent on checking the water level in the battery as well. As long as I stay on top of that and the fluids, the old girl should serve me well for as long as I'm going to be living here. Or living, period, for that matter. 

No comments: