Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Surf's Up

 A few things seen recently during my travels around the web:


Mr. Norm of Grand Spaulding Dodge passed away recently - big, big player during the muscle car era. My brother from a different mother drove us up there one time while I was recovering from an injury received while working at a foundry - March or April 1970 (many of the events in my life are dated by the injury I was recovering from at the time). Grand Spaulding used to run some cool radio ads - " dyno timed and analyzed, carburetor calibrated, soda pop carbonated" or something along those lines. Not sure  exactly, it's been 50 years and several concussions later, after all.


Toyota - the official truck of terrorists. I thought this one was pretty funny. I don't suppose any of the automakers are trying to gain market share.


I had a set of Firestone Town & Country tires back in the day. They would indeed get you through the snow. I don't recall Firestone having all the other Firestone branded products. In fact, I don't think I ever saw a Firestone spark plug. There was a Firestone service center in town back then but I was only in the place a couple of times. Other than tires, I did all my own service work on my vehicles.


I'm leaning towards a scrambler rather than pure flat tracker with the SR500 now. I do have two rollers, however. One scrambler, one flat tracker. That's Jeff Smith in the photo - he was the Executive Director  of AHRMA when I was involved back then. Nice guy. World motocross champion and British trials champion.

---------------------------------

I finished the head for the engine stand but when I drug the rest of the stand out it was looking pretty shabby. I took the cup brush on the $9.99 Harbor Freight grinder and cleaned things up. I put a coat of paint on the bottom of it yesterday. I'll assemble it today, finish painting it and get a photo posted. 



2 comments:

Surly said...

The illustrations on that Hilux poster are directly from actual photos from a specific conflict in Libya. That's called a Technical. A Technical is a civilian vehicle repurposed for a conflict (war) with a captured machinegun or rocket launcher attached. Look on Youtube for the Toyota War there's a good video explaining how Libya got their butts kicked by fighters using those 'Yota's against proper military tanks.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I suppose voiding your warranty is not much of a concern then, is it?