Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Workin' Fenders

 


I went to deliver the tax stuff to the lady on Monday morning and couldn't find my truck key. I drove the truck on Sunday, but only because the Himalayan had a dead battery again. I had it on the trickle charger and I rode it recently so it should have spun right up, but no go. Still haven't found my key and the bike still doesn't run but I think I found an AGM battery that will fit it. I'll get that ordered up in the next day or two and continue the search for the key - has to be around here somewhere.

Surly and the boys came down Monday with a little dirt bike in the back of their truck. While they were waiting their turn to ride the bike, they helped pick up some of the sticks and branches in the yard for me. Surly also gave me a hand hanging up my heavy bag. I put in a couple of rounds on it yesterday - my punches still have got some snap to them but I couldn't go three hard rounds if my life depended on it. Definitely need to work on my cardio. 

I did a little work on the Rickati yesterday and I started on a rear fender for the SR500. I had the fender blank cut out and annealed so I started hammering. In order to get the curvature required to form the radius to match the tire, you have to flute the edges. I've always had trouble in the past doing this because I was just too tentative hammering in wrinkles on the flanges. After getting it roughed into shape I did a second annealing and then flattened out the flutes and shrunk them to the proper radius. It only took me about an hour to get to what you see in the photo. I've still have a lot of planishing to do but I'm pretty happy that I could get it to this shape in a reasonable amount of time. I might just make it as a metalshaper one of these days. The boat tail on the jitney will be the true test.

No comments: