Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Floor Exercises

 


I picked up the material for the side hustle yesterday and a short piece of tubing that I'll need to stretch the frame on the jitney. The wheel base is 92" now, I'm going to move the engine and trans back two inches and then see where I'm at. Adding 10 inches should put things right. First, however, I need to make the parts for the side hustle and attend to the front end of the jitney.


I decided to go back to the basics. I swept the floor in the back of the shop and assembled the radius rods with the rod ends and brackets and bolted it to the axle. I didn't put any layout lines on the floor because it was raining and my chalk line is in the woodshop. I'll take care of that today. As it sits in the photo, the caster angle is correct at about 7 degrees. I checked it off the outside of the kingpin boss which is pretty rough. I'll turn a piece that I can stick down in the hole to get a more accurate reading. 

I'll figure out how far apart the spring perches need to be and make an angle or channel with a couple of studs sticking out at the right spacing and I can use that to make sure the perches are parallel with each other and I can then tack them on to the axle at the right height and angle so they are perpendicular to the spring. The spring perch on the frame is 90 degrees to the frame rails, so the perches on the axle need to be square to the spring. 

After I get the layout on the floor I'll sweep off another spot, draw a base line and then draw all the components in an elevation view. If everything looks good I'll spring into action, pun intended.

And as if that isn't enough good news for one day, I got he screen door installed in the shop and the Missus made the gooseberry pie yesterday. Life's good.



No comments: